Custom LASEK and Custom PRK allow the doctor to tailor the LASEK and PRK procedures to each individual eye and potentially improve upon the already excellent results available from the conventional procedures. These next generation techniques use wavefront technology to measure the entire eye and create a “three-dimensional” map. The map contains detailed optical information that is unique to each eye, much like a fingerprint is unique to each individual. The doctor uses this information to guide the laser in customizing the treatment to the eye’s unique visual irregularities. While traditional LASEK and PRKcorrect refractive errors known as lower order aberrations (myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism) that affect how much we can see, Custom LASEK and PRK also have the potential to improve higher-order aberrations (coma, spherical aberration, and others) that affect how well we can see. Studies indicate that 5 to 10 percent of patients significantly benefit from Custom LASEK/PRK treatments while other patients may benefit to a lesser degree.
Key features of Custom LASEK/PRK
- treats both lower- and higher-order aberrations
- ability to offer LASEK/PRK treatment to people with larger pupils
- ability to treat patients who have thin or steep corneas and are not good candidates for LASIK surgery
- reduced chance of night-vision disturbances, glare and halos for people at risk for higher-order aberrations
- longer healing period than LASIK (good vision is achieved in 5 to 7 days)